I'm an assistant professor in the Department of Philosophy and the Neuroscience Program at Rhodes College and a Research Fellow in the School of Philosophy at the Australian National University. I'm also an affiliated researcher with ANU's Humanizing Machine Intelligence Grand Challenge. I was previously a McDonnell Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology program at Washington University in St. Louis.
My research is in the philosophy of cognitive science and neuroscience. I work on the nature of valuation and its role in theories of the mind. My current work concerns the prospects for genuinely moral artificial intelligence.
My curriculum vitae: [PDF]
Recent and upcoming events
- "Passing the Moral Turing Test," CogSci 2020, Toronto (July 29-Aug 1, 2020) (Online)
- "Value, Addiction, & Proportional Blame," Philosophical Moral Psychology, Salzburg (July 8-10, 2020) (Online)
- "Evaluative Intelligence," Kinds of Intelligence 3, Cambridge University (Postponed)
- Visitor at Cambridge University's Department of History and Philosophy of Science and Center for Future Intelligence (Postponed to 2021)
- "Computational Cognitive Ontology", Cognitive Ontology Conference, Pittsburgh History and Philosophy of Science (Rescheduled to Oct. 17-18, 2020).
- TBA, Department of Philosophy, University of Missouri—St. Louis (Postponed)
- "Indirect Moral Belief Change," Invited Session, SSPP (Postponed to December 2020)
- “Prospective Memory and Weakness of Will,” Prospective Memory Workshop, Washington University in St. Louis (February 21, 2020)
- "Moral Gridworlds", Faculty of Science, History and Philosophy of Science, University of Sydney (October 21, 2019)
- CFI/ANU Workshop on Kinds of Intelligence (August 29-30, 2019)
- "Moral Gridworlds," Morality and Machine Ethics Workshop, Australian National University (August 23, 2019)
- "Valuation as a Sui-Generis Cognitive Capacity," Australasian Association of Philosophy (July 11, 2019)
- "Attention, Reward, and Value," Recent Work on Attention. The Australian National Univerisity (May 6, 2019)